Thursday, June 9, 2011

A thank you

Finally, after a trip to Montreal (fun) and a hard drive meltdown (so not fun) I'm back with a card:


We had a wonderful time attending convocation at McGill (I even got to meet WILLIAM SHATNER, who received an honorary degree) and needed to send a thank you to a friend who helped with all the details. I kept the same colours as I used for this card, and used a similar layout to this one inspired by a Hero Arts sketch. I already had the rose from Fifth Avenue Floral (Stampin' Up) coloured -- if you use Prismacolour pencils, check out this tutorial on the Hero Arts site, it has some excellent tips. The text panel is an excerpt from American Notes for General Circulation by none other than Charles Dickens. (Thank you again, Google Books!) I made a faux brad to add to the intersection of the text and the vellum panel, but decided I liked it better without.
And can you tell that once again, the weather defeated my photo-taking abilities? But the card needed to go in the mail...

Supplies: white & black cardstock, vellum, Fifth Avenue Floral (Stampin' Up), Thank You (Hero Arts), Versafine grapic black ink, clear embossing powder, Prismacolor pencils, dimensionals Pin It Now!

10 comments:

Meg said...

Gorgeous! That flower just pops off of that black background, and I love the organic lines of the flower contrasted with the linearity of the sketch. Did that sound totally graphic design-y or what?!? All that just to say, "it sure looks purdy!"

Off to check out that prismacolor link--they've been feeling a bit neglected around here lately!

Virginia L. said...

Hi Lindsay!! Like you, I just came back from my DD's convocation at U. of Toronto ( it's a long day and I'm still up...)! No, there's no W. Shatner :( but it was a beautiful day! Love your inspired card from the HA tutorial! The layering and color combo are fabulous! Thanks so much for entering "share your Inspiration" challenge! Good luck!

Angela said...

Any card with Dickens is a good card in my book, but this one's extra-pretty -- love the vellum and rose and, of course, your lovely coloring! Even the Shat himself would approve!

Karin said...

I love the beautiful flower and the text on the side is a lovely addition to the card. How cool that you got to meet William Shatner!

Emily Leiphart said...

Gorgeous thank you card, Linds! I love your combination of watercolouring, vellum and text which all pops against the black background. Your friend is sure to appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card!!! I love how that beautiful flower just pops off the black background! Gorgeous!

lisa a.

Janna Werner said...

Lindsey, gorgeous cas card and fantastic colour combo! Love the huge flower :D Have a great day! Janna

Alice said...

such a beautiful design and fab color combo! very pretty card!

Anonymous said...

Your flower looks lovely and once again you have place your slice of text perfectly.

kasia c. said...

I love how the flower just POPS off the card! That text strip is fabulous too. :)