Monday, October 17, 2011

Scraps, yes. Orange, no.

I usually make a grand total of two Hallowe'en cards. I'm on a little bit of a roll this year! 


This was inspired by three challenges. This week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge is to make a Hallowe'en card without any orange. No problem, I'm not that big an orange fan anyway. ;) Simon Says Stamp is also having a Hallowe'en challenge. Then along came the challenge at Do You Stack Up? (DYSU#41) to use your scraps. Well! See that spooky tree? THAT is some scrap rubber left over from a Unity stamp set I bought a few weeks ago! When I removed the stamps, I thought right away that this particular leftover rubber piece would make an awesome Hallowe'en tree. Initially I tried to make my own background using some distress inks and an acrylic block, but it wasn't what I'd hoped. Then I took a look at this patterned paper and realized it would make a fine stormy Hallowe'en sky. (Not precisely a scrap, but I had cut into it before.) It's not really showing up in the photo, but I even sponged the edges of the crazy cat moon. (Me! Sponging edges! Oh, and stamped on a scrap of white cardstock, of course.) The sentiment is also a scrap... from a Twinery Hallowe'en freebie. 
I even have other Hallowe'en card ideas percolating in my head. No idea what's going on here... :P

Supplies: black & white cardstock, Karen Foster purple swish patterned paper, Amuse smiley cat stamp, scrap rubber, milled lavender distress, Memories black & Brilliance graphite black inks, clear embossing powder, Twinery Hallowe'en printable gift tag, dimensionals
Pin It Now!

14 comments:

Jen W. said...

That tree is awesome! Could be a spooky ghoul as well... The crazy cat moon made me giggle too. :)

Jocelyn Olson said...

Hee hee...the cat is too funny--he reminds me of the Cheshire cat (doesn't he grow out of a moon at one point?). The way you made the tree is so creative and utterly amazing! Wow! Love that purple paper, too...it's a perfect background.

WencheP said...

Great card. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

debby4000 said...

Oh what a fabulous cute halloween card.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
luv
Debby

Karin said...

I love this color combo for Halloween! It's such a great change from the usual orange and black! That tree is way cool too!

Donelda said...

wow - now THAT is using up your scraps!! Well done!!

Janna Werner said...

Hey there, Lindsey! I love the Halloween card without orange!! Purple is a pretty cool Halloween colours and ur cas card rocks! Hugs Janna

Emily Leiphart said...

What a great idea to use the leftover rubber. That tree is so awesome and I love how there's a cat 'howling' in the moon!

Laura Davis said...

Spooky!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Aacckkk!! So cute and creepy all at the same time! LOL Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!!

Anonymous said...

love your spooky scrappy tree! fabulous halloween roll girlie.

Angela said...

What a great use of scraps and bits -- plus a cat (of course)! You are definitely ahead of the Halloween game -- I usually make a bunch of cards, and this year I've made...two. Guess we've changed places!

Meg said...

Wow, look at you getting all in the Halloween spirit! I must say I had no idea how you had made that tree and now that I know how I must say you are just getting way too clever! Love that sponged cat moon, too!

kasia c. said...

This card is fabulous! I love how you used the scrap for the tree. LOVE it! :)