Sunday, August 18, 2013

Happy Bird-day

Hope you've been having a great weekend so far -- I've been able to divide my time quite nicely between enjoying the beautiful weather and playing around with some stamps and stuff. ;) Including making a bird-day card for this week's Designer Drafts challenge at Paper Smooches SPARKS.


Hot air balloon? Not today, thank you. But I did like the circle as a design focus, the clouds and the central background panel. Here's my take:


For a while, Birthday Buddies was my only Paper Smooches set, and sometimes you'd think it still is, I use it so much! I thought it would be fun to try colouring this bird in red... I like it! I restamped and cut out his facial features and party hat for some dimension. His eyes have Glossy Accents and his hat some Stickles, plus a custom-Sharpie-coloured rhinestone. Cloud paper AND die cuts (thanks, Jessi! You know I'm going to need my own dies, of course) ensure he's flying high. The sentiment is stamped on a wood veneer banner that I prepped with a light coat of gesso for a bit of a whitewashed look. 
And with hours to go, I'm off to pop this into the running. Enjoy the rest of your day! 


Supplies: white & red cardstock, Echo Park Sweet Summertime Blue Sky patterned paper, Paper Smooches Birthday Buddies stamps, Memories black ink, watercolour pencils, green Sharpie, Paper Smooches clouds dies, Studio Calico wood veneer, Claudine Hellmuth Studio gesso, Clear Rock Candy distress Stickles, Glossy Accents, rhinestone, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Marvelous! I adore the cloud outlines and wood banner (genius to use gesso!)...but my favorite part is your coloring...he reminds me of an adorable angry bird in red ;)

Jessi Fogan said...

See, it's just to whet your appetite for MOAR :) I'm like a dealer - front you just a little to get you hooked. lol! I totally love how you coloured this guy - and now that I have this set too, honestly, I think I might have put it away once. I use it CONSTANTLY!

Kylie said...

Very cute card! The cute bird just pops off the page!

Isha Gupta said...

Great take on the sketch Linds!!! Love your card :)

Chris Dring said...

OMGee! Lindsey, this card is too stinkin adorable! Love how you colored that cute birdie and your take on the sketch is awesome!

Jen W. said...

This rocks! I was just saying to Jessi that I was jealous she had those PS cloud dies. Love the birdie in red and the subtle red matting.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHHH! I LOVE that you still used the circle as a design focus-- FAB! I LOVE your coloring! I really should try coloring some of my PS images!!! LOVE your clouds too-- they match that background paper perfectly! You rock, Lindsey!! THANKS so much for joining in the fun and playing along with the Paper Smooches SPARKS Designer Drafts challenge <3 Hope you join in the fun again this week <3

Barb King said...

That is a funny and happy card! Love that bird.