Saturday, September 19, 2015

{steam}PUNK at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!


How about some Saturday steampunk? Edna, with the help of our badge designer par excellence, Lee, is outfitted and ready to go clubbing as we introduce our latest challenge, P is for Punk: STEAMPUNK
Designing a steampunk-themed card once a year or so is just about right for me... while I love the style, it doesn't always fit well with my design abilities, to say the least. Oh wait, that's why we call them challenges. Here is what I came up with:


I had bought a sheet of steampunk-themed paper earlier this year (on clearance of course) knowing this challenge would eventually show up. I probably have enough odds and ends of ideas I tried to go with it for another three cards. ;) None of my stamped backgrounds worked as well as some of the paper itself. The bird is stamped in green distress ink then dusted with orange Perfect Pearls, resulting in a distressed-looking metallic shimmer. The watches and clock faces are fussy cut from other patterned paper. The background and sentiment panels are sponged around the edges — of course I adhered the background to the card base before remembering I was going to do that. (What can I say? Distressing and I don't get together very often.) I had to use some scrap paper as I worked around the edges. 
A different angle to show the dimension of the patterned paper panel: 



My sisters in snark have more great inspiration for you! Hope you'll get into {steam}PUNK mode and join us! 

Supplies: Cougar cream cardstock, Graphic45 Steampunk Debutante & A Vintage Gentleman patterned papers, Unity Moxie & (?) stamps, Versamark, Versafine onyx black & iced spruce & antique linen distress inks, Zing clear & Stampendous aged gold embossing powders, mandarin Perfect Pearls, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

12 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Not sure I've ever managed a Steampunk card myself but you seem to be a master of the art! This is great, and I love the fabulous mix of images, Jo x

Barbara Godden said...

Nice job with the challenge, love the bird, and I do the same thing, glue things down without inking the edges (then again probably on purpose)

Donna said...

Yep, this is awesome! Love all the different elements and the wavy ladies!

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

It looks great. Well done.

Leslie Hanna said...

Steam Punk is one of those things I "don't do". I hope to find some inspiration and supplies before the deadline.

Heather said...

Really? I thought I was the the only one to distress after everything was glued down. This card is beautiful. Everything just 'works.'

Jocelyn Olson said...

It doesn't look like this card was a challenge--the card is very cool! The bird--wow! How did you think of the DI, embossing, PP look? I really like the dimension of the film and clocks. Lol about the distressed edges. At least you weren't trying to scissor-distress the edges while on the base, which does not turn out well. ;)

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

I'm glad that you make one steampunk card a year to stay in practice ;) You do good work with this style

Chris Dring said...

Seriously, you do steampunk very well. Love that bird-on-the-fancy-frame, and the dimension you gave to the lady film strip. Awesome!

Jane Willis said...

This really doesn't look like a "once a year" effort, it's a fab card with loads of lovely techniques
Jane

Anonymous said...

I really like your steampunk meets Art Nouveau!

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh wait, that's why we call them challenges...yep, sometimes more challenging than others, lol. I LOVE the green/orange combo and never would have guessed that's how you did it!!