Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Happy Hearts Day

Back again, playing along with more challenges! This time, I've combined this month's CASEplorations and Happy Little Stampers mixed media challenges. 

       

I feel more than a bit unworthy to CASE (copy and share everything) a card by Laura Bassen... but I went ahead and tried anyway. ;) I was inspired by her multicoloured stencil embossing and the bold central sentiment. 


At first, I was disappointed that my colours didn't blend into one another as smoothly as Laura's do on her cards (she shows a few using this technique), but as I looked at it more, I decided I was okay with it. I kind of like how some of the hearts look highlighted. I die cut the "happy" out of both pink and black cardstock so I could set the pink letters in the black banner. "Have a" and "day" are both from a Paper Smooches stamp set. The small stamped hearts are Basic Grey. I decided I wanted a little something more, so I coated a wood veneer heart with gesso, and then added a second coat, tinting the gesso with distress ink first. Laura finishes her card with dots of Glossy Accents. I really like that look, but felt sure I'd mess it up, so went with the purple half-pearls instead. Here's a close-up: 


As far as mixed media — I have embossing paste stencilling, stamping with heat embossing, painting with gesso... and I'm not sure if die cutting counts. ;) 

Supplies: white & Stampin' Up melon mambo & basic black cardstock, vellum, Paper Smooches Blossoming Buds & Basic Grey Tweet stamps, Versafine onyx black, Colorbox orchid & festive berries, picked raspberries, seedless preserves & blueprint sketch distress inks, Zing clear embossing powder, Little B blackout line art & Mama Elephant femme frame dies, ARTplorations hearts all over stencil, Dreamweavers translucent embossing paste, Claudine Hellmusth Studio gesso, Studio Calico heart veneer, Queen & Co lavender half-pearls

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Chris Dring said...

This looks amazing! Your sponged hearts look like they are shiny like chrome. Cool beans!

Kim M said...

I think your embossing looks cool! I was a bit intimidated to CASE Laura too but we all have our own style and way of doing things. I didn't even attempt to colour my embossing paste so you're one up on me! LOL. Great card! Thanks for joining us over at CASEplorations! :-)

Linda said...

Love this .... the colours all work so well together. Thank you for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

maria f. said...

Thanks so much for joining us at CASEplorations in January. Your card is wonderful, with all those little Laura B. touches. I love your color choices.

Anonymous said...

The first thing I noticed were your lovely colour blends; I think they look great and they just happen to be my favourite colours.