Saturday, January 23, 2016

Technique Time


It's Saturday, and that means it's time for a new challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! For our 51st (!!) challenge, we have T is for Technique. Show us your favourite, or try something brand new to you! 
If I chose to use my favourite technique, heat embossing, that would hardly be a challenge at all — it's more of a challenge NOT to emboss. In searching for a new technique to use instead, I decided to give no-line colouring one more try. (My previous attempts have made for excellent recycling bin filler.) If you're not familiar with this technique, Alice Wertz is definitely a master of it. While I'm sure many people have, I haven't personally seen anyone use this technique with the Bird Crazy set, so that was my personal challenge. I think it worked! 


I started by stamping my bird in antique linen distress ink, to give just a light image. Then I watercoloured him with distress markers. My favourite part is how well the colours blended on his body. My least favourite part is his beak, which looks a bit like a collagen injection gone very wrong. Even so, when it came to choosing a card base, matching the orange worked the best of anything I tried. For the background panel, I smooshed the same colours as I used for the bird at the top of the panel, and allowed them to run down the panel's length. The sentiment cracks me up, even if I'm not entirely sure yet what I mean. :P 
For my design, I used the current layout from Tuesday Morning Sketches, rotating, stretching, and leaving off a few layers. Since a bird is centre stage, I'll link this up to Simon Says Stamp's current Critters challenge as well. We were encouraged to show off a picture of our own critters too — well, if you insist. This is Duncan, checking out a few patterned papers while holding the Best. Toy. Ever. Also known as an ink-blending sponge. He loves them! 



Do you have a favourite technique? Or perhaps a technique on your must-try list? Come and play with the Snarky Sisters! And of course, check out our blog to see what my sisters in snark cooked up for this challenge. We hope you'll join us!


Supplies: orange & Bazzill textured teal cardstock, Strathmore watercolour paper, Tim Holtz Bird Crazy & Rubber Dance Sarcastic Superpower stamps, Versamark & antique linen distress ink, Wow super-fine white embossing powder, peacock feathers, mustard seed, spiced marmalade & walnut stain distress markers, Spellbinders circle die

Pin It Now!

16 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Great card, made me literally hoot with laughter! Your no line colouring looks brilliant, Jo x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Amazing colouring Lindsey, and a fabby sentiment too, it brought a huge smile :)

Enjoy the weekend sweetie!

Love and hugs
Maarit

Barbara Godden said...

You just rocked that technique!!! love the bird and fabulous job on the card. I think "she" looks pouty.

Donna said...

Look at you using your crazy bird stamps! Mine are still in their package, I admire them from afar!
Your watercolouring is simply awesome and Duncan looks like a cat I would love to smooooosh!! EEEEK cute cat alert!!!

Debbie said...

Haha! Fun card! Great job on the no-line colouring!
Your kitty is adorable!
Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!
Debbie (TMS DT)
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Melissa Craig said...

What a fantastic technique! I will have to try. I've been trying to learn to watercolor - it's so pretty. Thank you for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Jane Willis said...

Ooh another technique I've not tried! Great card, fun sentiment and gorgeous cat!
Jane

Lynne Mizera said...

Lindsey... I LOVE this card AND this new-to-me technique - You ROCKED it! And personally I think the image works even better with the collagen injected bird beak!! Grin. PS LOVE the pic of your kitty!!! Soooo sweet. (Hugs)

Dawn said...

Cute card! Love your kitty too!
Mine loves to play with a ball of tin foil! lol
Hugs
Dawn xx

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I have been too afraid to try that technique.

Heather said...

This just really "pops." I love how you did the bird inside a circle. Great no-line coloring. I think mine would look like some modern art project...not beautiful like yours.

Beth H. said...

Great card! The sentiment is so funny!

Chris Dring said...

You have really embraced those crazy bird stamps! I LOVE how your no line coloring worked out on this card! And bonus points for the smooshed background! Duncan looks like he's having a load of fun with the inking sponge! Too cute!

Darnell said...

I am aswoon over this, Lindsey! It is officially my new favorite crazy bird design - you did a brilliant job with the watercoloring!! Hugs, Darnell

DonnaMundinger said...

Gorgeous work with the "no lines" technique and your sentiment made me LOL. LOVE this! xxD

Anonymous said...

You absolutely rocked the no-line colouring; I love your blending and of course your sentiment too. I do have a favourite technique and it might just involve distress stains and water...