Saturday, April 16, 2016

EmBOSSing!

Heat embossing... my all-time favourite stamping technique. So I'm very pleased that Edna has picked it for our newest Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers challenge! 


It hardly seems a challenge! To mix things up a little, I decided to try a twist on a classic technique, emboss resist, by using one of my newest toys, watercolour powder. Here's my card: 


It's such a fun and easy way to get a mixed colour background! I stamped and embossed the plaid background first, brushed the entire panel with water, then sprinkled on the powder. I love the variety of colour you get with even just a single powder. While the panel was drying, I stamped (and heat-embossed, of course, that is what the challenge is all about...) and coloured the cat and ball of yarn with Spectrum Noir markers. The sentiment is computer-generated. 
Then it was simply a matter of assembling everything! A little closeup of the fun background colours: 


I stuck to heat-embossing, but other kinds of embossing count for our challenge, too! Be sure to check out the creations from my sisters in snark as well as our latest Queen of Snark guest designer, Jane.

Supplies: Spectrum Noir & Stampin' Up smoky slate & basic black cardstock, Strathmore mixed media paper, Stampers Anonymous/TIm Holtz Crazy Cats stamps and dies, Hero Arts large plaid pattern stamp, Versamark & Versafine onyx black inks, Zing clear and Wow white embossing powders, Spectrum Noir markers, red Magenta Nuance watercolour powder, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Love the colors and the sentiment. I rarely use my embossing powders, same goes with my folders.

Chris Dring said...

Wow! Love how the water color powder gives you reds/pinks/oranges! That background looks amazing and I love that crazy cat and your snarky sentiment!

Lynne Mizera said...

OK... I Bow to you Oh Queen of Unlimited Creative Amazing-ness!!! (she says as she bows so low her head hits the floor) This Embossed background ROCKS - and I am now off to check out my background stamps and finally break open my watercolor powders!!!

Donna said...

Crazy cat!!! Crazy cat!!!
He (or she) looks AWESOME with that plaid background!
A most fantabulous card sistah!!

Dotty Jo said...

Totally terrific! Love the cat, the sentiment and most of all that amazing background, Jo x (Guess who is a happy, happy bunny????)

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

I haven't tried the watercolor powders yet. I'm trying to be good and not order things all the time, but you are making it very hard for me today! The background is fantastic! And I love the crazy cats!

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome background love the colours and of course you had me at "cat" Fabulous job.

Tracey McNeely said...

Lindsey this is a really cool technique! Your background is amazing! I have never used watercolour powder before that I remember, but I do remember mixing paints from powder. Am I having an elementary school flashback here?