Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Visions of Christmas Cards

August is almost over, and so my card-making thoughts are turning to Christmas cards — the cards I use the most, as well as some of my favourite to make. Meredith's card caught my eye at Muse: ChristmasVisions the other day. Here's her beautiful card: 


I was inspired by the tag element, the use of vellum, the joy die cut and the floral theme. Here's what I ended up with: 


Meredith stamped her background panel, but I knew I had some patterned paper that would work perfectly for what I had in mind. When I tried vellum over it, the design disappeared a little too much, so instead I used some tracing parchment. I watercoloured and fussy-cut the poinsettia, and die cut the joy sentiment from gold pearl paper (with a bristol board layer underneath) to match the pale gold pearl embossing powder I used for the flower. Instead of a secondary sentiment panel, I cut a tag topper from the patterned paper. I'm not 100% happy with the finished design — it's a little bottom-heavy, but overall it's a pretty and elegant card, I think. 
I've been resisting starting back on Christmas cards, as once I get going, it's hard to stop! Fair warning... ;) 

Supplies: white cardstock, Fluid hot-press watercolour paper, pale gold pearl paper, Echo Park Christmas This & That patterned paper, Borden & Riley parchment tracing paper, bristol board, Gourmet Rubber Stamps Heaven and Nature stamps, Versamark ink, pale gold pearl embossing powder, Papertrey Ink Joy, Technique Tuesday This Tag & MFT blueprints 24 stitched rectangle dies, watercolour pencils, Michaels gold ribbon, pop-dot tape

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Ardyth said...

Clever use(s) of the patterned paper! Love the classic feel of this card, Lindsey! Thank you so much for joining us at MCV this week!

Dotty Jo said...

Looks great! Jo x

Robyn Oliver said...

Super case on Meredith lovely card

Barbara Godden said...

Beautiful job, I love the banner. Love the use of the vellum too, fabulous case.

Marilyn said...

Wonderful take on the Muse card. Love the pattern paper on the top part of the tag.

Chris Dring said...

This is a superb case of that card! Well done!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

But if you start now, you'll have more than enough when it's time to send them! 😉 I love your take on my card; that patterned paper is gorgeous and the tracing paper is perfect!